My name is Shelender Kumar. I am a research scholar working in IISER Mohali (India) with Dr Ananth Venkatesan (http://www.venkatesanlab.org/). I am condensed matter experimentalist working at very low temperatures (down to few mK, 6 mK is the minimum temperature I have seen in my life in IISc Bangalore in Dr. Aveek’s lab (http://www.physics.iisc.ernet.in/~aveek_bid/aveek.html)).
Why Did I choose Low temperature
I was basically a chemist by training but during my master thesis in CNRS Grenoble, I worked with Vincent Bouchiat and Laetitia Marty on CVD graphene, There I got to work with cryogenics which got me excited and thereon I decided I will do my PhD in Low temperature Physics. After that during my master’s with Delhi University, I got chance to do my master’s thesis in IISc Bangalore with Dr. Aveek Bid. I enjoyed my stay here and I got to learn the culture and art of experimental physics from IISc Bangalore.
What is now
I got INSPIRE fellowship from DST Government of India, I joined IISER Mohali for my PhD with Dr. Ananth Venkatesan in January 2015. Here I have privileged to work on various projects, I got to learn high frequency measurements and device fabrication.
- 2015 January- Present: Ph.D. Scholar, Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali, India.
- 2013 August-December 2014: Project Assistant, Department of Physics, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India.
- 2011-13 M.Tech. In Nano science and Nanotechnology, University of Delhi, New Delhi, India (First Rank in University).
Thesis title: Magneto-transport in Bi film with topological defects.
CGPA: Highest grade in the class.
- 2011-12 Master in Science and technology with specialty in Nano-chemistry and Nano-objects, University Joseph Fourier, Grenoble, France. (Thesis title:-Graphene crossed architecture for molecular hybrid system.) CGPA: 13.777/20 Fourth in the class.
- 2007-2010 B.Sc. with majors in Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, Panjab University, Percentage 87.5%, First class in the university (Highest marks in college).